Music Ministry Openings
Part-Time Organist/Piano Accompanist
Binkley Baptist Church in Chapel Hill, N.C., seeks a part-time Organist/Piano Accompanist to support its music ministry. Binkley is a diverse, progressive, and welcoming and affirming congregation.
An ideal candidate will be a skilled, energetic and enthusiastic musician who will inspire current members of our choirs and engage in active outreach to the congregation and the broader community to increase participation in the worship and musical life of Binkley Baptist Church. The successful candidate will partner with ministerial staff in building upon existing traditions and exploring new forms of worship and music to attract youth, young adults, and families with young children.
Binkley’s mission is to build compassionate and joyful community, freely exploring spiritual paths, and pursuing justice and peace in the way of Jesus. In support of this mission, the Minister of Music will provide leadership and oversight in the areas of music and worship arts to further spiritual education and enrichment, and community outreach.
- Partner with ministerial staff to create and implement programs and worship experiences that engage existing members and attract visitors/new members to Binkley.
- Collaborate with ministerial staff to plan services by selecting music (e.g., preludes, offertories, and postludes) that supports the liturgy and key messages of the worship experience to inform, challenge, educate, and inspire.
- Develop and nurture trusting relationships with parishioners across generations.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir, children’s choir, and youth choir.
- Foster community outreach and connection through the music program.
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in music (Master’s preferred) and at least 10 years’ experience in church music. Organ proficiency is required. The salary will be dependent upon skills and experience of candidate.
A snapshot of music at Binkley:
Our sanctuary is an acoustically-vibrant worship space with flexible seating for the congregation. A focal point is a two-manual, 21-rank pipe organ manufactured by the Schantz Organ Company and installed in 1989. The traditional roll-top console is easily moved to accommodate various service or concert configurations. Additional details about the instrument may be found in the Organ Historical Society database. Other primary instruments include a Kawai baby grand piano, a four-octave set of handbells, and choir chimes.
The Chancel Choir boasts a high caliber of musicianship and includes accomplished vocalists, instrumentalists, and soloists. The congregation is also musically adept, receptive to a wide array of musical genres, and open to trying new hymns. Service music at Binkley typically includes hymns and sacred music from a variety of styles. Recent performance highlights include: Durufle’s “Requiem” for Palm Sunday; Vespers Services for All Saints, Pentecost, and All Souls; Scripture and Spirituals; Hymn Sings; Jazz Music Sunday; and a variety of Appalachian folk and hymn tunes performed by the Old Time Gospel Band. We sponsor a Choral Scholars Program, in partnership with local universities, through which students receive a modest scholarship for taking a leadership role in the music ministry of the church. The Chancel Choir also engages in collaborative choral performances with other groups and faith communities in the area.
Please visit www.binkleychurch.org to learn more about the church.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-Time Sunday Morning Sexton
Reports To: Church Administrator
Classification: Non-Exempt, Part-time (up to 4 hours per week); flexibility required
Salary Range: $15/hour
Date Prepared/Reviewed: November 8, 2022
The Sunday Morning Sexton will be responsible for proactively helping the church provide a clean, comfortable, safe environment for staff, members, and guests. He or she will be responsible for unlocking and locking all church doors on Sunday morning as well as monitor the parking lot for unwanted individuals or activity.
- Unlock all doors prior to services begin (8:30 AM) and relock all doors at the conclusion of Sunday morning church services (12:30 PM).
- Turn on lights prior to services and turn off lights following services.
- Monitor the parking lot and building for unwanted individuals or activity and report to church staff and/or police. The expectation is that the Sunday Morning Sexton will not confront individuals doing inappropriate activity.
- Assist with set-up of rooms as requested.
- Set/Adjust thermostats.
- Sweep walkways/de-ice walkways.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Demonstrated Skills and Abilities:
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.