A Vision of Christian Formation at Binkley
Christian Formation at Binkley Memorial Baptist Church strives to create a variety of sacred spaces in which all people feel welcome and can nurture their spiritual lives no matter where they are on their journey. Our church programs flow from this desire to love God, each other, and our neighbors.
- We explore Biblical narratives and Christian theology, and we ground ourselves in the traditions of Church.
- We celebrate God through a variety of forms of music.
- We foster discussion and encourage action in areas of peace and justice as we strive to be a covenantal community inspired by Christ’s example.
- We trust that all of the components of Binkley’s Christian Formation program lead to sound character formation for members of this faith community.
- We create safe spaces to question, to explore spiritual practices in Christianity and other faith traditions, and to challenge ourselves toward spiritual growth.
- We provide support for our teachers and intergenerational relationships/mentorships.
- We foster community, faithful public leadership, social service opportunities, and the pursuit of one’s spiritual vocation.
- We provide opportunities for all people to experience God’s love within ourselves, in community and in nature.
Children are welcome and celebrated at Binkley! Children hear key stories from the Bible and learn the ways and teachings of Jesus. Children participate in service projects, sing together, learn to pray, and grow together through art, drama, and play. Yearly, in late June, Vacation Bible School draws together children from Binkley and the larger community for a joyful week of learning.
Nursery care for infants and toddlers is available on beginning at 9:15 am. Sunday School is offered for children aged 3-5th grade from 9:30-10:30 am.
Binkley’s Youth Group gathers weekly during the school year to learn about the teachings of Jesus. Through sharing a meal and participating in a discussion, fun activity, or service project together, we open our hearts and minds to God’s message of love and learn how to share that message with others. Every summer in early July, youth from Baptist Churches throughout the Southeast, gather at Laurel Springs for life-changing Baptist Youth Camp. Teens, whether members or friends of the church, are invited to seek a home in Binkley’s Youth Group.
At Binkley, we foster learning through mind, heart, and body. To that end, we offer opportunities for spiritual and theological deepening. These include Sunday School classes, small groups, Wednesday Night programs, as well as retreats for specific groups throughout the year. We also welcome special guests, provide workshops and Sunday morning forums, and host ecumenical offerings like the Holy Week Labyrinth.
At Binkley, children, youth, young adults, and elders gather for spiritual nurture, progressive religious education, community building, and social action. Spiritual kinship and joy across the ages might be discovered during Vacation Bible School, taking a nature walk on Binkley’s grounds, participating in a talent show at the church-wide retreat, worshiping outside, participating in bi-annual service projects, playing games at the All Hallow’s Eve Party, creating Advent craft projects and caroling. These are some of the many ways Binkleyites connect across generations.